When you have a roof or other construction emergency it can be tempting to grab the first contractor you come across to get the problem fixed. Especially during heavy weather events like storms, when established roofers may not be able to fix the problem right away due to the volume of calls.
If a tree crashes through your roof or a tornado rips it right off your house, one can not be faulted for considering the door-to-door salesperson who says they can fix your problem right away for hundreds or even thousands less than “the other guys”, especially if the other guys are booked for weeks. However, hiring one these “storm chasers” and other traveling contractors without looking into them first can be a huge, costly mistake (and often is)!
Disasters give bad people many opportunities to catch desperate homeowners unaware and drain their wallets before they know what hit them!
Fortunately, there are many resources available to help you determine if the contractor you’re considering is on the up and up , using the very thing you are reading this on right now (the internet!) and for those that use common sense and take advantage of the information available, avoiding these scams or other bad roofers is easier than ever!
1) If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!
2) Shop Local! Even the legitimate out-of-state contractors can be difficult to get hold of after the job is done (if they stay in business long enough) and many of the outright scams travel with the storms from state to state. Local roofers are much easier to research and contact when you need them.
3) If they push you for an immediate decision, just say NO!
4) Never allow someone you don’t know (especially if they just showed up to your door) up on your roof.
5) Obtain bids from at least 3 different roof contractors you find
6) Do your due diligence on any roof contractor (Check the Better Business Bureau, online reviews, websites, etc)
7) Read our “Do Your Homework” section for more information on how you can check out your roof contractor using the internet and other resources to be assured you are hiring a legitimate company.
Scams Aren’t The Only Danger To Look Out For, Bad Roofers Can Be Just As Costly
Look out not only for scammers but bad or unqualified roofers as well, even some legitimate start-ups (inexperienced roofers and/or one man operations) can cause more damage to your roof (and wallet) in the form of shoddy work, cheap materials, property damage, and delays than the original problem!
If you want to consider a smaller operation, be sure to do you homework and check them out thoroughly, paying special attention to online reviews through 3rd party sites like GuildQuality and Google and speaking directly to references provided by the roofer. If anything is off or you cannot find the information you seek easily, be wary. There are too many qualified and proven roof contractors in every metro area to take chances.
Our consumer section on avoiding scams, “Do Your Homework”, provides details on what to look out for and what you can do to avoid a bad roofer or scam. Feel free to contact Atlanta Roofing Specialists with additional questions and for more information!
Atlanta Roofing Specialists has been serving the Metro Atlanta area since 1993, offering free roof estimates and a proven track record of quality and exceptional customer service. Contact us at 770-419-2222 for your estimate today!