Summertime in Georgia, it’s hard to imagine how people in the past survived living without air conditioning, especially with the humidity. With the summer heat, comes increased utility costs and homeowners must think about how to balance comfort and their utility budget. When the temperatures rise, combined with the humidity to make it feel much hotter, it can seem like your AC never shuts off!
Running an air conditioner 24 hours a day can get expensive fast, but don’t fear, there are ways to beat the heat and keep those energy bills under control!
- Set your thermostat to 78 degrees, AC can count for 50% or more of your bill. Installing and using ceiling fans will help keep you cool and comfortable (just be sure to turn off fans in unoccupied rooms).
- Watch the hot water. Hot water is an energy hog, so try using the cold or warm settings on your washing machine. Lower your water heater to 125 degrees which is adequate for most (most come preset at 140 degrees!)). If you leave for a couple of days, turn off the water heater.
- Keep your AC system well maintained and service your unit at least once a year. Change air filters on a regular basis
- Get a programmable thermostat, which will allow you to set the thermostat to increase or decrease temperatures as you please.
- Prune back shrubs that may block airflow to your air conditioner or heat pump
- In Metro Atlanta, Call Atlanta Roofing Specialists at 770-419-2222 to have your roof, attic, attic stairway, attached garage walls, basement, and other areas checked for proper insulation. Leaks in your roof and inadequate insulation can cost you lots of money in wasted energy.
Atlanta Roofing Specialists provides free inspections with estimates, so there is no reason not to find out how much we can save you today!
Atlanta Roofing Specialists not only provides expert roofing solutions we also provide inspections, advice, and construction services to make your home more energy efficient.
Call us today at 770-419-2222 for your free estimate and find out how much you can save today!