Knowing when it’s time to get a professional roof inspection isn’t always obvious. A lot of things can happen in the year between regular scheduled inspections and maintenance and many small problems can go unnoticed turning into larger problems later on.
Performing a self-inspection every now and then is not a bad idea, especially with older roofs and after strong storms. The sooner a problem is found and repaired the better.
You can perform an interior inspection simply by checking your ceiling in all your rooms and closets and if you have attic access, checking up there with a flashlight can tell you even more. Look for:
- Any sagging areas
- Active leaks or signs that an area is leaking
- Dark spots
- Light seeping through the roof.
Make note of any damage you find, and head outside. Look at the exterior, noting things like damaged flashing, buckled, missing, blistering, rotting or curled shingles and algae growth. While we certainly aren’t suggesting you get up on the roof (it’s dangerous!) but on many homes, you can see quite a bit from the ground.
- Look as close as you can at the shingles, look for cracking, bald, or missing shingles.
- Look around for loose material on the ground or wear around the chimneys, pipes and vents, where visible.
- Inspect the bottom of the gutter downspouts looking for excessive shingle granules or pieces as this is a sign of wear.
- Examine the drainage system itself, checking that gutters and downspouts are properly attached and free and clear of debris.
- Look for signs of moisture, mold/fungi, or rot. Don’t just check damaged areas as water will travel from the damaged area to other parts of the roof causing mold, fungi, and bacteria growth within 48 hours of exposure.
- Make sure ventilation from interior rooms such as the bathroom, kitchen, or other high humidity areas go directly outside and not into your attic.
A professional roof inspection is warranted if you notice any of these issues. The good news is, in many cases, a new roof isn’t always the answer! There are many factors to consider when deciding repairs vs new roof and having a professional roof contractor perform a full inspection and take the time to explain your options will give you all the answers you need.
Call Atlanta Roofing Specialists in Metro Atlanta for your FREE roof inspection and estimate at 770-419-2222!