There are 3 main roof types Metro Atlanta homeowners choose when it’s time to replace their roof. Today we look at the pros and cons of each to hopefully make the decision a little easier when it’s time to replace your roof!
The most common residential roof type by far, asphalt shingles has many advantages that justify it’s top spot.
- The most affordable of all the roof types, they start cheap with 3-tab shingles and go all the way to designer shingles that replicate more expensive roof types like cedar shakes.
- Looks great on most any home.
- Relatively easy to repair and maintain (if inspected regularly)
- East to install with most installations taking just a couple of days.
- Plenty of variety, even the pickiest of homeowners can find something they like.
- Lightweight and durable
- Especially susceptible to wind and hail damage
- Moss & mildew grow easily on asphalt shingles
- Compared to other roof types has a short lifespan, requiring replacement every 15- 30 years.
Cedar Shakes/Cedar Shingles
- Extremely durable. highly resistant to wind and rain
- Properly maintained, cedar shakes/shingles can last several decades or more.
- Looks great to many (beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course)
- Actually looks better (again subjective) as it ages
- Material is more expensive as is labor as each shake must be installed individually.
- Also susceptible to moss, mold, and mildew, homeowners must strictly adhere to a regular maintenance schedule. Individual shakes should be replaced by a roof contractor as soon as they need to.
- Can last as long as the house or building itself
- Shrugs off wind and rain like it never happened, especially durable
- Mildew, mold, rot, even fire doesn’t phase a metal roof, it’s resistance to these is legendary.
- The most expensive of the 3 common roof types both in terms of materials and labor
- Hail damage may not affect the integrity of a metal roof, it can leave ugly dents.
- Can be loud during rains although roof contractors can mitigate this with various methods to dampen the noise.
- Repairs can be expensive. Although metal roofs are extremely durable, if a repair needs to be performed it can be quite expensive compared to it’s asphalt shingle cousins.
For more information or questions on roof types available to you or to obtain a free estimate on your residential or commercial roof project in Metro Atlanta call Atlanta Roofing Specialists at 770-419-2222 today!