As one of the least expensive roof materials, asphalt shingles remains the most popular choice of roof for America’s homes. With the added benefits of a wide variety of styles and colors to choose from plus new technologies that allow them to mimic the look of much more expensive materials, it’s no wonder why asphalt shingles are so popular.
Like any product, asphalt shingles has it’s pros and cons and when making such a large decision like installing a new roof it’s important to have all the information you can!
Pros of Asphalt Shingles
- Easy to install (less labor costs)
- Are appropriate for almost any type of home or style
- Properly maintained, can last decades
- Wide variety of styles and colors to choose from, in 2 types (organic or fiberglass), and a variety of fire resistance and lifespans.
- Higher end asphalt shingles are mostly weather resistant
Cons of Asphalt Shingles
- Susceptible to stronger weather events, especially wind and hail
- Improper ventilation affects shingles life much more than other materials
- Installation is weather sensitive where shingles can be damaged if installed in below freezing temperatures
- Regular maintenance of the roof is a must, not only to satisfy most warranty and insurance requirements, but also to ensure the roof stays in shape.
- Not as long lasting as materials like slate or tile.
- Although recyclable, they are made from petroleum, which isn’t environmentally friendly
Asphalt shingles are a great choice for any home, regardless of some the cons which can be alleviated by purchasing higher quality materials. In the vast majority of cases, a shingle roof will be sufficient for your home. However, if the con’s outweigh the pros in your case there are other materials such as slate, metal and tile that are available to make sure you get the roof you want!
Get with your local roof contractor and schedule an appointment to review all the materials available to you! In Metro Atlanta, call Atlanta Roofing Specialists at 770-419-2222 for your free estimate today!