As one of the least expensive roof materials, asphalt shingles remains the most popular choice of roof for America’s homes. With the added benefit of a wide variety of styles and colors to choose from, plus new technologies that allow asphalt shingles to mimic the look of much more expensive materials and it’s no wonder why they’re so popular.
Like any product, asphalt shingles has it’s pros and cons and when making such a large decision like installing a new roof it’s important to have all the information you can!
Pros of Asphalt Shingles
- Easy to install (less labor costs)
- Are appropriate for almost any type of home or style
- Properly maintained, can last decades
- Wide variety of styles and colors to choose from, in 2 types (organic or fiberglass), and a variety of fire resistance and lifespans.
- Higher end asphalt shingles are mostly weather resistant
Cons of Asphalt Shingles
- Susceptible to stronger weather events, especially wind and hail
- Improper ventilation affects shingles life much more than other materials
- Installation is weather sensitive where shingles can be damaged if installed in below freezing temperatures
- Regular maintenance of the roof is a must, not only to satisfy most warranty and insurance requirements, but also to ensure the roof stays in shape.
- Not as long lasting as materials like slate or tile.
- Although recyclable, they are made from petroleum, which isn’t environmentally friendly
Asphalt shingles come in many varieties, shapes, and colors, enough to cover just about any home but isn’t perfect and is far from the only roofing material. Talk to your roof contractor about other materials such as metal, slate, and more if you feel shingles aren’t right for you!
Get with your local roof contractor and schedule an appointment to review all the materials available to you! In Metro Atlanta, call Atlanta Roofing Specialists at 770-419-2222 for your free estimate today!