Catching a roof problem early can mean the difference between a few hundred dollars in repairs to tens of thousands for a complete roof replacement. During dry weather, unless there is obvious damage, roof problems aren’t usually apparent. Even during heavy rains, some roof problems can remain hidden, slowly building up until something eventually gives.
One of the easier ways to look for possible problems without going up onto the roof yourself, is to look for signs of potential problems from within. Take a little time and do an indoor roof inspection and include the attic, if you haven’t in a while, if you see any of these signs, call a professional, local roof contractor for a full inspection.
- Decking: Sagging decking between the rafters. If the decking is sagging or deteriorating, the decking will also require replacement when a new roof is installed.
- Holes: Outside light that can be seen through the roof. This may be common (and not a problem) on shake roofs, since the wooden shakes will swell during the wet months, effectively preventing any leaks
- Check the attic: Signs of leaking in the attic (dark spots in the wood, especially around vents, chimneys, and other holes to the roof).
- Test dark spots in the wood to decide if they are old or current problems. If the spot is still wet, or if it is soft (test with a screwdriver), the spot is a current problem. If the spot is dry and hard, it is most likely an old problem that has been fixed.
- Ceilings/Walls: Signs of water damage or leaking (usually in the form of water stains, or sagging ceilings)–this could be due to an active leak in the roof or to condensation caused by poor roof ventilation.
Any of these signs may indicate the need for immediate repair or even a new roof entirely. After your free inspection from Atlanta Roofing Specialists you will be able to make the decision on what is best for you and your house.
Especially if your roof is older, the costs of constantly repairing a roof can outweigh a roof replacement, both in terms of money and aggravation. Having a professional contractor, like Atlanta Roofing Specialists, come out and explain the problems and solutions available will arm you with the information you need to make the right decision.
In Metro Atlanta, call Atlanta Roofing Specialists at 770-419-2222 today!