Summertime in Georgia, it’s hard to imagine how people in the past survived living without air conditioning, especially with the humidity.
Back then, people did what they could to stay cool, from inventing sweet iced tea to running fans through windows. Staying cool, though difficult, was at least relatively cheap.
These days, with air conditioners, it’s may be easier to stay cool during the hot months but to maintain that comfort, money is required and it can get expensive.
Homeowners are increasingly faced with higher utility costs once the temperatures rise and must think about how to balance comfort and their utility budget. Fortunately, maintaining a comfortable home without breaking the bank is achievable!
There are plenty ways to beat the heat and keep those energy bills under control!
- Set your thermostat to 78 degrees, AC can count for 50% or more of your bill. Installing and using ceiling fans will help keep you cool and comfortable (just be sure to turn off fans in unoccupied rooms).
- Watch the hot water. Hot water is an energy hog, so try using the cold or warm settings on your washing machine. Lower your water heater to 125 degrees which is adequate for most (most come preset at 140 degrees!)). If you leave for a couple of days, turn off the water heater.
- Keep your AC system well maintained and service your unit at least once a year. Change air filters on a regular basis
- Get a programmable thermostat, which will allow you to set the thermostat to increase or decrease temperatures as you please.
- Prune back shrubs that may block airflow to your air conditioner or heat pump
- Call Atlanta Roofing Specialists at 770-419-2222 to have your roof, attic, attic stairway, attached garage walls, basement, and other areas checked for proper insulation. Leaks in your roof and inadequate insulation can cost you lots of money in wasted energy.
Call Atlanta Roofing Specialists today at 770-419-2222 for your FREE ROOF INSPECTION and find out how much you can save today!