It’s a holiday weekend and tens of millions of Americans are hitting the roads to see friends and family. Holiday road trips, whether it’s an hour away or a few states over, can be a lot of fun as well as stressful. Especially if you have kids, being prepared for whatever may come is the best way to help ensure your holiday travel is pleasant experience you will remember for years to come.
Check Your Car
With lower fuel costs, most people travel with their own vehicles. The first thing you should do is give a good look-over before you leave. If you keep up with maintenance you shouldn’t need to do anything major but a quick check of a few things can go a long way.
- Check your tire pressure and tread depth
- Test your wiper blades and replace them if necessary
- Road trips mean grimy windows. Fill your washer fluid.
- Check your jumper cables, if you don’t have any, get some.
Bring A First Aid/Safety Kit
Be prepared for an emergency. You never know what the road may bring, being prepared can help avert disaster.
- If going into snowy areas, bring sand, cat little or traction mats in case you get stuck.
- A small shovel
- Gloves, hats, blankets
- Flashlights (check the batteries!), road flairs or triangles
- Warm clothes
- Extra water and snack bars
- Rags, paper towels
- Basic tools
- Phone chargers and backup battery packs
- Anything else you can think of
Keep An Eye On Your Car & Valuables
This time of year is a boon for thieves and while authorities are stepping up their efforts to combats these things, it still happens. The best defense is offense they say.
- Keep valuables out of site, in the trunk, glovebox, or under the seat
- Make sure your car is locked when you walk away from it
- Take breaks in shifts, making sure someone is always with the car
- Always be aware of your surroundings, if something seems off, go somewhere else.
Prioritize Pit Stops
Especially on trips longer than 100 miles, you need a break from the monotony of driving, failure to do so can result in tragic consequences. Breaks will help you stay alert and ready to respond to anything the road can throw at you.
Stay safe this holiday season and plan accordingly!
Atlanta Roofing Specialists wants to help you stay safe this holiday season! With emergency roof services available even on holidays, we are here if you need us. In Metro Atlanta call 770-419-2222 for a free estimate or any roof emergency you may have.